Sports News and Scores - NFL - NBA - NHL - PGA Tour - LPGA Tour - Nascar - ATP Tennis -WTA Tennis- International Soccer - Boxing - Horse Racing and Major sports Events

Google
 

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Nascar: Truex could become new face of DEI

By Scott Serrano PA SportsTicker Staff Writer

With the recent announcement that Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be leaving Dale Earnhardt Inc. at the end of the NASCAR Nextel Cup season, Martin Truex Jr. is ready to step up and become the new face of the organization.
That also means he will be taking over for the man most responsible for helping him get his start in the top levels of NASCAR racing.
"He was my teammate and I was able to go to him for information," Truex said. "He kind of helped me along the way with anything I ever needed help with. So, yeah, he was my mentor, more or less."
In addition, Truex faces the challenge of filling the shoes of one of the circuit's most popular drivers.
"Well, I think it will kind of put me a little bit more in the limelight or spotlight, so to speak," Truex said. "I think I'll have more opportunities with some sponsors coming into DEI working with me instead of everybody wanting to come here and work with Dale, Jr.
"It's kind of been a little difficult at times playing second fiddle to him. So in that aspect, it will open some doors for me, give me some new opportunities, which I look forward to."
Along with those opportunities come added leadership responsibilities as the team's top driver.

Live Scores

Live Top Sports News Feeds