Sports News and Scores - NFL - NBA - NHL - PGA Tour - LPGA Tour - Nascar - ATP Tennis -WTA Tennis- International Soccer - Boxing - Horse Racing and Major sports Events

Google
 

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Champions PGA Tour: Haas collects fourth win of the year

Concord, MA (Sports Network) - Jay Haas collected his fourth win of the season on Sunday when he came from behind to title at the Bank of America Championship.
He fired a final-round, six-under 66 to finish regulation at 13-under-par 203.
"I didn't know I was leading until 13 or 14," admitted Haas, who padded his money lead with the $247,500 first-place check. "I was fortunate the guys didn't make a bigger run at me there on the last few holes."
Leonard Thompson shot a four-under 68 and tied for second place with Brad Bryant, who posted a 67 on Sunday. The pair came in at 10-under-par 206 at Nashawtuc Country Club.
Overnight leader Tom Purtzer seemed to be in control of the tournament until a flurry of missed putts after the turn. He bogeyed three in a row from the 10th, then double-bogeyed the 17th to eliminate any possibility of a miracle finish.
Purtzer shot a one-over 73 to take fourth place at minus-nine.
Purtzer now has held the 36-hole lead at this event three years in a row with no wins to show for it.
"I feel bad for Tom," said Haas. "He's probably one of my two or three best friends out here. I thought maybe he and I might get into a playoff. I was hoping for that."
Any hope of a playoff with his friend was dashed around the turn.

Live Scores

Live Top Sports News Feeds