Sports News and Scores - NFL - NBA - NHL - PGA Tour - LPGA Tour - Nascar - ATP Tennis -WTA Tennis- International Soccer - Boxing - Horse Racing and Major sports Events

Google
 

Friday, June 22, 2007

LPGA: Kims share Wegmans LPGA lead

Pittsford, NY (Sports Network) - Mi Hyun Kim and In-Kyung Kim shared the lead Friday after the second round of the Wegmans LPGA.

In-Kyung Kim shot a five-under 67, while Mi Hyun Kim had a four-under 68 to join her at seven-under 137.

They had a two-shot lead on Angela Stanford, who posted a three-under 69 to move into third place alone at five-under 139.

World No. 1 Lorena Ochoa shot a 71 and shared fourth place with Lindsey Wright (70) at four-under 140. Cristie Kerr, the overnight leader, stumbled to a 75 and led a group of four players at 141.

Kerr played her last 10 holes at five-over par and closed with a double-bogey at the par-four 18th.

The leaders, meanwhile, said they felt comfortable at 6,204-yard Locus Hill Country Club, which isn't like the courses in their native Korea.

"We have a lot of mountain courses," said Mi Hyun Kim, a 30-year-old eight- time winner on the LPGA Tour. "A lot of up and down. But this is not like that. This is kind of flat."

Flat and narrow, good for short hitters who can keep the ball in the fairway.

"I think I have a great short game. I'm not a big driver, but I think I have great shot. That's how I work," In-Kyung Kim, a 19-year-old rookie, said. "The greens are really small and tight. Also, the fairways are tight and the wind is blowing. I think I'm pretty comfortable with this golf course."

The younger Kim had six birdies during a nine-hole stretch from No. 4 and was bogey-free until dropping a shot at the 18th, where she three-putted from 35 feet.

Her birdies included three putts from 20 feet or longer.

"Hopefully, tomorrow, I can make a [few] more birdies," said Kim, whose best finish in her rookie season is a tie for fourth place at the LPGA Corning Classic.

Mi Hyun Kim had five birdies and a bogey for her 68. She would have held the lead alone if not for a sub-par tee shot with a rescue club at the par-three fifth.

Kim knocked her the ball 30 feet past the hole, then three-putted for bogey.

"Almost every hole, I hit the fairway. My second shot almost hit every green. So I feel very comfortable with my swing and short game," she said. "I have a lot of confidence."

The cut line fell at four-over 148 with 72 players making the weekend. Among those who missed the cut were Birdie Kim, Laura Diaz, Juli Inkster and Julieta Granada.

Live Scores

Live Top Sports News Feeds