Sports News and Scores - NFL - NBA - NHL - PGA Tour - LPGA Tour - Nascar - ATP Tennis -WTA Tennis- International Soccer - Boxing - Horse Racing and Major sports Events

Google
 

Friday, June 1, 2007

WTA: Henin, Serena advance; Venus eclipsed in Paris

Paris, France (Sports Network) - Former champions Justine Henin and Serena Williams were easy third-round winners on Friday at the French Open, but Venus Williams was not as fortunate.
Henin, the top seed and three-time champion, cruised past Italy's Mara Santangelo 6-2, 6-3. The Belgian star is gunning for her third straight crown at Roland Garros and fourth overall. She won in 2003, 2005 and '06.
Serena Williams, seeded eighth this year, won the title in 2002 with a victory over her sister. She advanced to the round of 16 this year with a 6-3, 6-4 triumph over Michaella Krajicek of the Netherlands.
Venus, meanwhile, was bounced by surging Serb Jelena Jankovic. The fourth seed posted a 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 victory to continue her strong play of late and her recent success against Venus.
"I was really going for my shots and I never had in my mind that I'm going to lose the match," Jankovic said. "I just wanted to go for it. In the second set I was a little bit tired. But in the third set I gave my best, and it paid off."
Jankovic has won three tournaments in 2007, including clay-court titles in Charleston and Rome. Her win at the Family Circle Cup in April included a semifinal victory over Venus. In addition to the victory in Charleston, Jankovic also won a three-setter against Venus last year in the third round at Wimbledon.

Live Scores

Live Top Sports News Feeds