Sports News and Scores - NFL - NBA - NHL - PGA Tour - LPGA Tour - Nascar - ATP Tennis -WTA Tennis- International Soccer - Boxing - Horse Racing and Major sports Events

Google
 

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Mayweather/Hatton bout set for Dec. 8

Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton are set to clash in a welterweight bout this December in a matchup of two undefeated stars of the sport.
The fight, announced on Wednesday, is slated for December 8, at a location to be determined. The trash talking began immediately.
"I am the best fighter in boxing today and I'm prepared for any challenge my team puts in front of me," said Mayweather. "And with Ricky Hatton it's already personal. He has talked and disrespected me so much in the past months that I can't wait to get him in the ring and show him he is not even on my level. He's definitely getting knocked out."
At a combined 81-0, this is the biggest matchup of two undefeated welterweights since Oscar De La Hoya took on Felix Trinidad in 1999.
The 30-year-old Mayweather will come out of his brief retirement to take on Hatton, the 28-year-old Englishman who has established himself as one of the best fighters in the world. Mayweather's last fight was his highly publicized, and slightly controversial, 12-round unanimous decision over Oscar De La Hoya on May 5 that ran his record to 38-0, with 24 knockouts.
Hatton is coming off a fourth-round knockout of Jose Luis Castillo on June 23, a dominating performance that ran his record to 43-0, with 31 knockouts. About 10,000 of his British countrymen traveled to Las Vegas on June to support Hatton, and an even bigger crowd should be expected for the biggest fight of his career.
"It is a dream of every boxer to fight the best boxers in the world," said Hatton. "I respect Floyd Mayweather immensely for his boxing ability and it will be an honor to share the same ring with him. He is rightly regarded as the best pound for pound boxer in the world. However, I am confident and determined that I will be the first boxer to beat him in the ring and I am looking forward to this fight."

Live Scores

Live Top Sports News Feeds